Friday, March 2, 2012

A LETTER HOME BOYER TALKS ABOUT COLOMBIA MISSION

CALI, Columbia - By now almost everyone has returned fromEcuador, but I stopped in Cali, Colombia, with hopes of returningnext year on another medical mission.

I'm talking with people from the charitable organization Casa deColombia about the possibility of having Healing the Children bringplastic surgeons to Cali to perform procedures as we did in Ecuadorlast week. I am hoping it will work out, the facilities are verygood.

We finished a very successful Sister Cities mission in Tena, notonly from the standpoint of the beautiful work our medical team did,particularly on cleft lip and palate cases and a severe burn case,but also the contributions of our non-medical participants. Theyhelped at a shelter for runaway boys, a school for special-education children and a school in the jungle designed to teachnativos construction management and ecology.

We delivered four computers and so many T-shirts that you couldnot look in any crowd without seeing people wearing them. Many of ushitched a ride with the Ecuadoran Air Force back to Quito, and thegroup began to break up over two days, most going home and Pat andChuck Willett going to the Galapagos.

I flew to Cali, where I have had the thrill of seeing the firstchild from Healing the Children that Chris (Boyer's wife) and Ifostered 11 years ago.

Karol Melo Valencia, now 13, is doing very well in school, has asweet disposition and was very glad to see me. My visit caught herby surprise, and although her parents knew I was coming they hadgone to such lengths to keep it a secret that no one in the rest ofthe family knew, so I am going back tomorrow for a lunch with morepeople.

I am sorry I did not "file more stories" but getting to acomputer was very difficult before the Internet cafes closed. Thenlast night when I had the chance, the server was down. This is myfirst time in Colombia, and I am very sorry I let the guerrillaskeep me away for so long.

Life in Cali is very normal, and the city is obviously relativelyprosperous for Latin America. It is not safe in some neighborhoods,and in some places in the countryside, but the people here say thatconditions are improving steadily.

No comments:

Post a Comment